Monday, May 21, 2012

Romans 6:21, Plant According to the Fruit You Want to Harvest

Romans 6:21
Luke 6:43-45
If my strawberry plant began producing eggplants, I would most certainly pull it out of my garden. I would never expect a plant to produce something other than what it was designed for. Squashes produce squashes, strawberries produce strawberries, roses produce roses, tomatoes produce tomatoes, eggplants produce eggplants. If I don't like eggplants, then I shouldn't grow them in my garden and I certainly shouldn't blame the plant for producing what it was designed for rather than a different fruit altogether. In the same way, if my life is producing horrible fruit, then I need to carefully examine what I've planted in it. Sin will never produce the "strawberries" I want. It will only produce death. If I want wonderful fruit (e.g. love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control), then I need to plant the seeds that will produce them (Gal 5:22-23).

No comments:

Post a Comment