Thursday, May 29, 2014

Bible Study: Singing with one voice

Romans 15:6
Revelation 7:9-12
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
image credit
It's hard to know that someone is wrong in their belief and statements and choose to work alongside that person without insisting that they change. Yet if that wrong belief is relatively minor, the arguments to convince them to change their minds might become the discordant voice in the choir preventing our praise together as God's people from being as beautiful as it could be otherwise.
.
A choir singing together might not all sing the same words to the same tune. Yet their words and tunes are designed to come together to form one song, sung as it were with one voice. As much as I might like to correct someone's wrong opinion, sometimes the correction is more disruptive to the song than allowing them to persist in their error. I need to consider very carefully whether I'm inclined to correct because the person needs correction (i.e. serious sin) or because I want to prove myself in the eyes of others. My goal needs to be the unity of God's people. It may be a struggle to bite my tongue--an "affliction" much less troublesome than those referred to by Paul--yet much easier to endure when I remember how temporary it is and what I am hoping to gain in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment