Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Arriving Early Every Sunday

We arrive at our church 5-15 minutes before Mass is scheduled to begin. Our friends think we're crazy, especially bringing our 2 preschoolers so early with "nothing" to occupy them before the hour-long service. This post will explain why we make this a priority and next week how we actually make it happen every Sunday.
.
5-10 minutes before Mass begins is a great opportunity to pray; to set aside distractions and focus on the Lord; to get settled in with time to spare rather than rushing in at the last moment as the music begins. With less time I find I'm still thinking about the day's schedule, problems we're facing, changes and plans I'm hoping to make in the upcoming week. I don't focus on worship until we're 5 or even 10 minutes into the service. I've set aside this hour to praise God, and instead I'm thinking about myself. By arriving early I can use those 5-15 minutes before Mass to stop thinking about myself and redirect my thoughts on the Lord.
.
Of course those few quiet moments were completely changed when our first daughter was born. An infant doesn't understand what you're trying to do and certainly isn't prepared to help out. I think the infant/young children aspect of arriving at church early (both the arriving and the keeping young children busy) is what makes parents think those 5 minutes or more are impossible. Yet when are children old enough to sit in a pew before the church service begins and set aside their own distractions to focus on worshiping the Lord? How would you make the transition as a family from arriving at the last minute to arriving a little bit early? My husband and I looked at what we wanted for our family "someday" in the future and started the routines "today" that will help us toward that "someday". We certainly brought quiet toys and books and cereal for our children during the first couple years. Our goals for our infants were different from our "someday" goals: 1) Not distract other people; 2) Stay quiet; 3) Become familiar with being in Mass; 4) Eventually actually participate in certain parts of Mass.
.
We've taught our daughters that those 5-10 minutes before the service begins are to be used to pray and to sit quietly. Our 5yr kneels and says her own prayer now; our 3yr usually stands or kneels next to me and repeats the words I tell her to say. "Dear Jesus, I love you. Please forgive me my sins and help me pay attention during Mass today. Amen." Sometimes after I've said my own prayer, I'll sit with a child on my lap and whisper a tiny catechesis: an observation about what has changed on the altar since last week and why, a reminder that Jesus lives in her heart, a short commentary on why we sing or why we make an effort to dress nicely for church. Sometimes my husband helps a daughter find the first song in the hymnal. If we weren't able to read the Scripture readings aloud to them beforehand, we might quietly read one of them to whichever daughter is closest and willing to listen.
.
Because we made arriving early a routine in our family, our girls expect it, behave well during that time, and we once again get a few moments to pray and redirect our thoughts to the Lord. But now our children also get a few moments to do the same thing. Someday they may even really appreciate the opportunity; our oldest seems to even now.
.
Linked to Works for Me Wednesday and Modest Monday

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! By arriving early you teach your children the importance of worship. We wouldn't show up late for a concert! I have been getting to church very late recently, so this is a great reminder of the lesson I want to teach my kids.

    ReplyDelete