Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Walk in the Spirit

Romans 8:1
Galatians 5:16-25
May I live by the Spirit's fruit instead of the flesh's
As we train our children to have a personal prayer time every day, the chart we use includes this list of the fruits of the Spirit from Galatians 5, with a couple other fruits like "obedience" added in. We want to walk in the Spirit ourselves so of course we want to help our children do so also. With the Holy Spirit dwelling within me, I have a choice in how I respond to life. I can respond according to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, with love, joy, peace, patience, etc. Or I can respond according to the inclinations of my flesh with jealousy, anger, rivalry, etc. It is a constant struggle. Whenever I give in to the flesh I have to repent, again. Yet the Lord is merciful--He is the originator of all the fruits of the Spirit--and forgives me time and again. Then I try again to "walk in the Spirit", praying for the Lord to give me His character and fighting against my flesh to choose the promptings of the Holy Spirit in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment