Thursday, April 26, 2012

Romans 6:7, Treasure Worth Losing My Life

Romans 6:7
Luke 9:23-25
Giving my life to Christ means losing everything. There's no use pretending that Christianity means otherwise. Baptism in Christ means joining in His death and surrendering myself to God means He has control of my whole future. He calls me to pick up my cross; a very heavy and often shameful burden that I'd just as soon leave by the wayside. It's not easy and sometimes it's not what I want to do. But the truth is that I am going to experience death eventually. I will lose everything regardless of how much I may fight to keep it. And everyone is carrying one cross or another; ignoring or complaining about it won't make it disappear. And so, as the Jim Elliot quote says, "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to give what he cannot lose." Even if I could surround myself with every luxury this world has to offer, what would its value be at the end of my short life? But if I can give that life (however long it may be it's not much in comparison to eternity) and receive a treasure in return that I will keep forever, then I have made an excellent trade. Choosing death with Christ and receiving full pardon for my sins? Yeah, that's a trade worth losing my life for.

No comments:

Post a Comment