Monday, November 7, 2011

Romans 4:25

Romans 4:25
We gave each of my daughters a little treasure box last year for Christmas. Although not very big, it is big enough to store a few trinkets they've acquired from preschool parties and the like. I look at their treasures and I think they're pretty worthless. They're only 3 and 4 years old: their treasures are plastic bracelets, whistles that only sometimes work, a pencil top eraser, and similar easily breakable toys. What I forget sometimes is that the treasures I value and protect so carefully are just as worthless in God's eyes. All my worldly possessions put together are as nothing to the One who owns the cattle on a thousand hills and every beast in the forest (Ps 50:10). My treasures may seem important to me, but they are easily replaceable and "cheap" to the Creator.

God has offered us a far greater treasure, one which could never be broken or replaced. He has offered us the sacrifice of His Son so that we can go beyond this world and the trinkets it offers to live with Him forever. His sacrifice was made entirely for our sake, not His own. Yet He leaves the decision up to us: will we accept the treasure of His gift or will we reject it for the sake of our own "treasure"?

No comments:

Post a Comment