Thursday, May 19, 2011

Romans 1:15

When I host an event, I want people to come. I don't expect that everyone I invite will be able to make it, and I invite more than I plan to host because of that. But it can be nice to hear from people who want to come but won't be able to. There is something very affirming for us as humans to know that a friend wants to spend time with us whether or not they're able to do so. Here in verse 15 this is the fourth time in just six verses that Paul expresses that type of desire to visit Rome. Even if he had never arrived I suspect the Roman Christians knew that he wanted to be with them and would have felt very affirmed in his love for them. The words he uses are not idle: they're strong sentiments of desire. "Beseeching", "blessed", "long", "purposed", "eager"; I think the Romans knew after receiving this letter that Paul would be coming to visit them if possible and if he never arrived that it wasn't for a lack of desire on his part.

No comments:

Post a Comment