Wednesday, May 4, 2011

PPT: Pray Daily

Do you spend time daily with God? What does that even mean? How do you start or improve what you already have? I'm going to spend some time exploring this more and sharing some ideas I've learned from others over the years. Very little, if any, of the ideas in this series will be original to me, but rather are tried and true ideas from many other Christians who have struggled and persevered in dedicating time daily to growing in their relationship with God. I plan to post on this topic every Wednesday and link to Works for Me Wednesday in the hopes that what I have learned over the past several years will also help others.


I think the first step is really in recognizing the need to spend time daily in prayer. Not just throughout the day as you randomly happen to think about it (especially since that doesn't really happen as often as we would like), but purposefully, intentionally, setting apart time to pray. My husband pointed out in a retreat talk once that just 5 minutes a day, but nearly every day, is actually more than a 20 minute block of time only once a week. 5 minutes isn't much and I wouldn't encourage anyone to stay with just 5 minutes, but it is a starting point. Maybe it's when you're first getting up and not ready to get out of bed yet. Maybe it takes your coffee maker 5 minutes to brew and you can build a pattern of praying while you're waiting for your coffee to be ready. Maybe it's just after you've brushed your teeth at night or just before you slip into bed. Maybe it's sitting in the car for a short while before entering your house or your workplace. Whenever you choose, committing to just 5 minutes a day to focus on God, and only God, will transform you in ways you can't even imagine. Anything that will transform me to become more like the person God wants me to be definitely Works for Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment