Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Romans 14

Have you ever felt condemned for doing something you thought you should not be judged for? I find it helpful sometimes when I am tempted to criticize someone's actions to remember certain occasions when I have felt judged unfairly. It's frustrating to feel criticized when I think I'm doing what's right. I get frustrated especially when the other person wants me to do a good thing, but it's not what the Lord has called *me* to do. Causes like ending world hunger are certainly worthwhile and I heartily support those who are working for them. I've given my money at times and I've prayed for them. But I would be wrong to let it consume my time and money at the expense of the work the Lord has called me to carry out in my own life.

Remembering this can help me avoid judging other people when I shouldn't. I ask myself whether this is truly a matter of sin or a matter of personal vocation or simply a matter of an individual's perspective and position in life. I am rarely in a position to call someone out on a point of true sin. I would have to be particularly close to that person (e.g. husband or child) and very aware of the situation and see it as clearly serious sin without possibility of being a misunderstanding. In other words, I need to tread carefully to avoid sinning myself by accusing someone else of sinning. God knows their heart, He knows their position and can convict them of their sin without my help. My job is to watch my own thoughts and actions to avoid falling into sin myself or tempting another to sin.

1 comment:

  1. I just had to click on this label here because Romans 14 is my very favorite passage of scripture!

    If I may add my own thoughts...

    This chapter in Romans has helped me for some of the same reasons you listed, but it also has helped me through something that has just been breaking my heart and disturbing my peace each and every day for some time now.

    Unfortunately, there was damage caused financially to me by a close family member. I could not control what the person did at the time, but I have struggled with releasing my anger and despair since then and wondered how I could ever feel safe or hopeful again.

    Reading these verses helped me see that whatever the offending person did to me, they did as if unto Christ and because he "owns" their sins through the atonement, I could release that person to Christ, because they belong to him anyway, not to me.

    I also understood that as I turn to Christ, my burden is lighter and I feel loved and safe again.

    I no longer trust this person with money, and the problem has not evaporated, but this change of heart brought on by the spirit of God through these scriptures helps me cope in the "middle" of this experience. They turned me to Jesus Christ, who restores my hope and who truly loves me, and all people.

    A pleasure to read your thoughts and find company in another woman who enjoys, and learns from, God's word!

    Blessings,
    Eve

    ReplyDelete