Monday, April 11, 2011

Romans 12-13

I was created by and for God, as we all are. Yet I was also created to be a unique individual. It's hard to pick out at times all that entails, especially since our society offers so many options, particularly in the workplace. It's no longer a matter of being a farmer, a tradesman, or a woman; now there are a hundred different types of farmer, a million different categories of tradesman, and all those choices open to women plus whether you work full time or part time or stay full time with your children. It's overwhelming.

I've heard some people treat the question of "what does God want me to do" as yet another confusing choice to throw into the chaotic mixture of which career to pursue. I find peace instead of confusion in these chapters of Romans encouraging me to follow God's design for my life. The enormous quantity of choices still makes the decision making process very confusing and overwhelming, but I find greater peace in the process. Certain choices are removed from the mixture: anything that doesn't respect the governing authorities, anything that causes me to break one of the 10 Commandments, anything that distracts me from loving God and loving others. Since the One who created me also knows me and loves me, I can trust the gifts and desires He placed in me to guide me in the right direction. I don't need to deny who I am; recognizing and embracing the person He created me to be will instead help me in loving Him and loving His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment