Sunday, April 3, 2011

Romans 1-2

So many have commented on the remarkable similarities between the society of the Roman Empire and our present-day society in the United States. It strikes me how easy it is to condemn others for not living up to God's standards yet how difficult it is to acknowledge the ways I don't live up to them either. The Jews Paul was writing to in Romans 2 used circumcision to enter into their faith; I have entered into my faith through baptism. Yet just as Paul challenged the Jews to live out the spirit and the fullness of the Law rather than depending on their circumcision to save them, I need to life out the spirit and fullness of my faith. May I never "bring God into contempt" (Rom 2:23) by condemning the actions of another person while committing the same sin myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment