Thursday, May 9, 2013

1000 generations

Romans 11:29
Exodus 20:5-6
Only 2 generations represented here. Imagine what the
picture would look like with 1000 generations...
No one lives to know their ancestors from a thousand generations back. We're fortunate if we know those who are only 3 generations back, maybe 4 if the ancestors are long-lived and the parents of each generation begin producing the next while still rather young. I knew some of my great-grandparents slightly (3 generations back), although not well and not all of them, and I couldn't tell you the names of their parents (4 generations removed). I might not even know if they committed a serious enough sin that I would still be dealing with the consequences. I certainly do not know if anyone within the last 1000 generations (reaching back 2000 years would only cover about a tenth of that number) showed the Lord the kind of love and commitment that passes down to me His tremendous blessings, promised to the Israelites at Mt. Sinai.
.
Reaching forward, I might be fortunate enough to know my descendants to the 3rd and 4th generation. I might see some of the negative consequences passed down to them from my poor choices. I will certainly never see the full impact of my decisions to love and obey the Lord, for His mercies extend so much further than His discipline. His faithfulness is truly astounding, impacting us in ways we cannot comprehend. And so we trust in Him, knowing that His promises are irrevocable, placing ourselves and our descendants in His capable hands, for only He can see and understand the results of our choices throughout the generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment