Tuesday, October 30, 2012

God's Intervention in Our Lives

Romans 9:29
Genesis 18:20-33
image credit
It was entirely just for God to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. They were well known for their sinfulness and not even 10 righteous people could be found in the whole area. Yet the cities were not unique; all of us could say it would be entirely just for the Lord to destroy our homes. Although He would find more than 10 just people in the city where I live, it would be because of His mercy rather than because those people are inherently better than those who lived in Sodom and Gomorrah. I imagine I would be considered just enough to help preserve my city from destruction, but that is because I can name off hundreds of times that the Lord has intervened in my life to preserve me from a life of sin. I am not just because I am naturally good. I am just because I am justified by Christ and because He has gone out of His way time and again to lead me back to Himself when I was inclined to stray. It's harder to choose to reject God when you have multiple supernatural experiences of His existence, ya know?
.
By the laws of cause and effect, Sodom and Gomorrah consistently chose sin and the effect was their own destruction. We would be in the same situation if the Lord left us to our own devices. Yet as He chooses repeatedly to intervene, His intervention has the effect of rescuing us from destruction by rescuing us from the choice to sin. I am therefore abundantly grateful for His work in our lives, protecting us from the destruction we would quickly choose for ourselves, individually and as a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment