Monday, September 3, 2012

Help From the Father

Romans 8:32
John 3:14-18
I found this quote recently by C.S. Lewis from Mere Christianity:
.
"No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good. A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is."
.
(My husband posted it on his fb wall, but I found it first! He only steals the very best of the quotes and pages I leave up on the computer.)
.
God realizes how impossible it is for us to struggle against temptation. Even when He calls us to be as perfect as Himself (Mt 5:48), He knows that we cannot achieve that on our own. Even should I resist the temptations inherent in my own nature and my own inclinations toward sin, I would still fall when faced with the temptations of the world I live in and the temptations sent against me by fallen angels. I doubt I could ever stand up to an assault from one direction; I certainly don't stand a chance against the attack from three separate forces. The Father, who has given so much to secure my salvation, recognizes the impossibility I face. And so He, who gave even His own Son, is ready and willing to give so much more to help me. No one gives up someone they love for the sake of someone they hate; His sacrifice is a sign of His incredible love for us and we can therefore trust in that love when asking (begging!) for His help in resisting temptation. Why would He not give us all the help we need?

No comments:

Post a Comment