Sunday, April 22, 2012

Alternate "Fun" Books With "Work" Books

Because I tend to overload myself with too many expectations, I took a break from weekly goals through all of Lent. My personal Lenten sacrifice was significant enough on its own, especially with our family Lenten activities and busy Easter plans. Now we are 2 weeks into Easter, facing summer, and its time to choose something I can handle this week without overwhelming my life (so I don't overwhelm my husband...).
.
I'm a reader. Okay, I'm more than a reader: I'm a bookaholic. Of course there are always the books I want to read and then the books I want to want to read, yet never quite get to. They're the non-fiction usually, whether biography or theology or parenting or books I want to review because I'll probably require my children to read them someday. So my newest goal is to finish one of those books that have been sitting on my shelf for way too long only partially read. It's a good book and I've learned a lot from it already, I just haven't been as eager to pick it up as the 30 fiction books I've finished in the meantime. For each book I have to work a little more to read I get to reward myself with one fiction fun book. This isn't something I'll be strict about with myself when we're out and about on vacation and other summer trips, but at home in our ordinary life I can easily give just a little bit of effort at reading the "work" books, knowing that when each is completed I'll be free to read another "fun" novel.
.
Well, maybe I'll allow myself two fun books for each work book....


Linked with Works for Me Wednesday

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. I did it with chores, too. Alternate a chore I don't hate with one that I do. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete