Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Romans 2:18

New International Version (NIV)
18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law;

Knowing right from wrong is truly a blessing. Paul's rebuke in this passage is toward those who use that knowledge and authority from the Law to condemn others without consideration for their own actions. But not once is he suggesting that it is a bad thing to know what the Law teaches: rather that the condemnation should be left to God since even those who already know the Law well find themselves disobeying it. I can't paint anything better than stick figures, but I can recognize and appreciate art that is well-done. It would be very foolish of me to criticize people whose art is as bad as mine, but I could certainly play the role of student or use what I *have* learned to show approval for another's art.

No comments:

Post a Comment