Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bible Study: 5 Fingers

I am doing an in-depth study of Romans right now, but of course that's not where I began in reading and studying the Bible. As I think about it, I began by reading devotionals; but most won't last very long and none give more than short passages of Scripture. If you really want to know the Bible, you have to read it, study it, and learn it yourself.
Several years ago I came across a description of the very different ways to bring the Bible into our lives. Ideally we would be incorporating all five of these into our lives on a regular (weekly or even daily) basis. The person who put together the description uses the mnemonic tool of the five fingers of a hand. "Scripture" or "Bible" was written on the picture of a hand and each of these was written on a finger:
  • Hear
  • Read
  • Study
  • Memorize
  • Meditate
Whenever I feel like I'm missing something in my relationship with Christ, one of the first things I do is tick off each finger against my regular Scripture intake to verify whether one of the fingers is missing. Usually one is, and going out of my way to bring it back into my life on a regular basis works for me in my walk with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment