Monday, May 2, 2011

Romans 1:5

What have I been commissioned to do? I don't believe God is very hands-off. I have found in my own life that if I welcome Him into my decision making, He is quite willing to guide me in the direction He would like me to go. I don't mean to imply that the decision making becomes easy or that His direction is always clear or that I lose even a small portion of my free will. I do find however that He invites me to join His mission in ways particularly suited to who I am and He provides the gifts and the grace I need to fulfill my portion of that mission. I am not commissioned as an apostle as Paul speaks of himself and those with him in this verse. But I am commissioned to be a wife and mother radically different from most wives and mothers today. I am given a share in the mission for the sake of Jesus' name, though my share is not like Paul's but rather to speak well of my family, to exercise hospitality often, to teach my children the Word of God, to live out the joy of being a Christian in a way that is obvious to the people I come into contact with so they will be attracted to Christ also. And thankfully, even though I fail time and again, God has also given me the grace I need to fulfill the portion of the mission that He has entrusted to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment