Friday, May 13, 2011

Romans 1:12

I am as introverted as they come and really like doing things by myself, on my own terms, in my own time. But when I am with other people, what an encouragement it is to share beliefs and expectations in common! I am not only affirmed in knowing I am on the right path, but strengthened in staying on that path when I am once again by myself without their encouragement. I think with my head (as opposed to my heart and feelings), so I like to make sure again and again that I am following the right path, that it is the way of Truth, that the hard sciences confirm what I've already verified through faith. Yet even so I am encouraged by the faith of others who believe without question or believe because it feels right or believe because of an experience they had, whether or not they know their faith well enough to defend it from a hard skeptic.

Paul obviously did not need the faith of the Roman Christians to confirm his own. He knew what he believed, and why, and he wasn't about to waver from it for any reason whatsoever. Yet he still talks about being encouraged by the Romans as well as encouraging them. He knew, I think, that as strong as anyone may be in their beliefs, it is always a comfort and source of further strength to be with others who also believe the same and to share together about their individual stories and experiences. If you do not have anyone to share with, seek out someone. You may be strong in what you believe, but imagine how much stronger you could be if you had someone to encourage you.

No comments:

Post a Comment