Thursday, April 7, 2011

Romans 6-8

It's truly amazing to me how completely the Holy Spirit can transform an individual. Someone who has either very recently experienced a personal conversion or is particularly close to God shows a peace and joy that cannot be imitated by anything this world has to offer. It's as if their eyes and lips can't hold back the laughter.

I can imagine Paul struggling to communicate this transformation in his letter to the Romans. The Law is good, and holy, and right, and true. But it cannot transform a person from the inside out like the Holy Spirit can. We are freed from the drudgery of "Thou shalt not". We are free for the love of God and the internal response of "I don't *want* to commit that sin".

Am I living out that transformation today? Can people see that peace and joy in my facial expressions? Every time I answer "no" to these questions, I need to ask myself why I am choosing the slavery and drudgery of disobeying the Law over the peace and joy of living for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment