Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Christian Ambition

Mark 10:35-45
I think maybe I'm not ambitious enough.
When I read this passage it strikes me how presumptuous James and John were to even ask Jesus to "do for us whatever we ask of you". If He's to be King, who do they think they are to boss Him around by asking for such an open-ended favor? Yet Christ doesn't rebuke them for their ambition, He only redirects it. I would even say that His response encourages their desire for greatness, but He tells them that the way to fulfill that desire is very different than they thought.
Do I desire greatness? In some ways I do, but maybe not enough. I'm too content with being one of the crowd. I'm not striving enough to be the leader that I should be. I'd rather let other people serve more when I should be ambitious enough for greatness to serve others at every opportunity possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment