Sunday, July 26, 2009

Blessing upon Blessing

Ten Commandments MonumentImage by kencf0618 via Flickr

" you shall not bow down before them or worship them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishments for their fathers' wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation but bestowing mercy, down to the thousandth generation, on the children of those who love me and keep my commandments." -Deuteronomy 5:9-10
How many generations back is one thousand?

An average of 20 years per generation=5 generations per century
5 generations per century=50 per millennium
1000 generations=20,000 years

So if Abraham lived about 4000 years ago, God's blessings on his descendants would continue for another 16,000 years or so! What a tremendously strong blessing! May I love the Lord and keep His commandments not only for my own sake, but also for my descendants down to the thousandth generation.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment