Saturday, April 19, 2014

Lent 2014: Joseph of Arimathea

Luke 23:50-56
image credit
Although I live in a democratic republic where my opinion can supposedly influence the laws made and who is allowed to make them, my one voice among millions is often not the prevailing opinion. I can't make my government turn in the direction I think it should. I can't convince even elected leaders to stop supporting abortion, to name just one vice I despise. But I can decide how I will respond to the challenges and opportunities I face and whether I will do the right thing despite the opposition.
.
Joseph of Arimathea disagreed with his fellow leaders. He couldn't stop them from crucifying Jesus. But he didn't step away and avoid responsibility for his own actions. Although he couldn't prevent the terrible injustice, he chose to honor the Lord by giving Him the best burial possible. It was a risk for him. How would the other Jewish leaders respond to his actions? Would he lose his position in the council, be persecuted as a disciple of Jesus, be shunned by his friends? He chose to do what he believed was right despite the potential negative consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment