Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Brownies

I have absolutely no intention of turning this into a food blog. But it is a kind of online storage base for me, so I thought I'd post a few recipes which my family would be devastated if I were to lose. The pictures won't be spectacular, but mostly I'm using this as a backup location for recipes we love, and making them available for those who might be interested in them also.
.
Supreme Chocolate Saucepan Brownies
original recipe
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 eggs
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  +1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum if gluten free and your mix doesn't include a gum in it
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13x2" baking pan.
Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Add sugar and cocoa powder; stir to blend. Remove from heat.
Add in eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda. Mix chocolate chips into batter and spread into prepared pan.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan and center is somewhat firm to the touch. Cool completely in pan. Cut into bars and serve.
Change it up:
I find no difference between xanthan gum and guar gum. Use whichever you have/prefer.
Add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts: macadamia, walnuts, pecans, peanuts.
Cut back slightly on the chocolate chips. I generally use 2 scant cups (closer to 1.5 cups) rather than 2 full cups.
Replace the semi-sweet chips with another type: peanut butter, butterscotch, mint, vanilla, milk chocolate
Replace vanilla extract with another type: almond, mint, orange
Add spices to taste: cinnamon, Chinese 5-spice, nutmeg, red pepper, pumpkin or apple spice, orange zest
Use a different type of sugar: I use either demerara or muscovado, but also try molasses sugar or coconut sugar. I don't recommend honey, however, as the flavor comes through too strong.
Last time I made this it occurred to me that I should try replacing half of the butter with peanut butter. Let me know how it turns out if you try it before I get around to it.
Replace all or part of the butter with coconut oil and add 1/2 cup coconut flakes.
.
Linked with Works for Me Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment