Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lent: Samaritan woman

John 4:5-30
image credit
The Samaritan woman was simply completing an ordinary task. Water wasn't run through pipes into the city, let alone into the houses; women had to carry every drop they used from the well back to their homes. Yet as this woman is going about her life, outside the city for a job she had to carry out at least once a day every day, the man she encounters changes her perspective forever. He tells her that He is the promised Messiah and the water He offers is unlike any she's found at this well every before. She wasn't looking for the Messiah, she wasn't anticipating any conversation from this Jewish man, she wasn't living in hope that her life would be transformed. Yet that encounter changed her expectations forever. She responded with faith and immediately left, abandoning her water jar, to share the good news with everyone in her village.
.
How has the Lord encountered you in your ordinary life? What daily task were you completing when something happened to change your whole perspective? Did you respond with faith? My initial reaction, given my personality, is generally to respond negatively. I don't like my plans and my life turned suddenly upside down. Yet I try to remember the goodness of the Lord and the life-giving water He is offering me through this change. And then it is easier to respond rightly, thanking Him for the blessing and looking with hope toward a better future than I had anticipate living.

No comments:

Post a Comment