Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Romans 7:10, Don't Remain in Ignorance

Romans 7:10
Proverbs 6:20-23
If knowledge of God and His Law brings so much trouble, would it be better to avoid knowing altogether? Would it be better remaining in ignorance for the sake of innocence?
.
Learning to read is a good thing even if it can contribute
to a loss of innocence. (5yr artwork)
An innocent child is a beautiful thing and I hope my children retain their innocence for years to come. Yet I work for their education every day. As much as I value their childhood, I am aware that they will not always be children and so I prepare them for their adulthood. I don't seek out ways to strip them of their innocence yet I know that as I teach them skills such as how to read, those skills may someday be used in ways that cause them to lose tiny bits of their innocence as well as their ignorance.
.
Coming to an awareness of God's perfect holiness through His Law and through other means causes us to lose our ignorance and mature beyond our former childishness. We become aware of our own shortcomings and failure to obey the Lord. We begin to recognize how helplessly sinful we truly are. We die; we discover how far beyond our own power it is to be as pure and holy as we should be. But keeping others in ignorance is NOT the answer. Knowing God and His holiness is the beginning to maturity. It brings us out of ignorance as surely as adult skills will bring my children out of their childhood, yet it is still a wonderful gift. We should want to know God better. Yes, it reveals our own sinfulness, but that is not the end. Don't throw out what is good with the seemingly negative results. It will take Paul several more verses to reach the solution in Christ Jesus (which means it will take me a whole month...) but we know that knowledge of God and His holiness brings us to repentance and the repentance is accepted and perfected through God Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment