Friday, July 8, 2011

Romans 2:12

What is the standard you use to distinguish right from wrong? Ultimately our standard should be based on God's standard, but we grow and change in our understanding of what that means. In the meantime, He isn't going to use someone else's measuring stick against us or a definition of right/wrong that we've never encountered before. He isn't going to judge me by the hundreds of stipulations in Jewish Law for hand-washing, house cleaning, food preparation, and so forth. But He is going to use what I know in my heart is right/wrong, and I have to admit (at least to myself) that I don't always live up to that standard. I'm *really* glad to not be held to a standard I'm not familiar with, since I'd be sure to fail miserably at it. But that doesn't let me off the hook; I need to improve at following the standard of what I *know* is right in my heart, including repenting each and every time I choose to do what's wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment