Thursday, April 21, 2011

Use Multiple Translations

The Bible wasn't written in English, so a translation will never be able to communicate all the implications and nuances expressed in the original text. Reading different translations helps overcome the disadvantage we have in reading only translations and not original texts. So, I have one printed translation I'm reading through, several more on e-Sword to compare and take notes on, and access to even more translations online. I confess I haven't made it *all* the way through Romans in *one* day (the kids wake up before I quite finish). But it's been extremely helpful to read it through as completely as possible, ignoring verses and chapters and section headers. Now that I've read the entire book several times through and given an initial reaction to it by sections, I plan to switch to a different translation and read through the whole book one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment