Friday, October 9, 2009

Joined at the Hip

My younger daughter seems to think I'm supposed to hold her and play with all day and all night. I enjoy her company, but it is rather difficult to even prepare food for her, let alone clean, wash laundry, or do anything else. I give in a lot more than most people probably would, sacrificing what I might want to get done for loving her and showing her in a very visible way that I'm available to her. But this weekend I'm going on a retreat. Without her. She's with people she knows well and trusts...but not me. Pray for them all. And for me, on Monday when she might not let go of me.

I'm hoping this will be an opportunity for her to grow in her relationship with other people who love her and understanding that I will never abandon her. Someday I hope she'll understand that I will always be as faithful to her as any human is able to. Even more I hope she'll understand that my ability to love her, return to her, and be available to her is unavoidably limited because I'm human, but God's faithfulness is perfect. When she chooses for Him she will have found Someone who will always hold her and play with her. Psalm 94:14 is as true for her today as is was for the People of Israel thousands of years ago: "For the Lord will not cast off his people: neither will he forsake his own inheritance."

No comments:

Post a Comment