Monday, June 8, 2009

Names

Names today are too often ignored. In other cultures they have frequently been used to help shape the focus of a child's life or changed throughout life to reflect an individual's changing perspective and goals. When I was named Esther after my great-grandmother, a friend told my mother there was a lot more purpose for my name than she realized at the time. What that purpose may be I still don't know, but I have always been fascinated by the Book of Esther and hope I will be willing to make the sacrifices she did if I'm ever put in a similar position. May I be as faithful to God and my people despite the danger as she was.

Several years ago when I was looking for a new email address and couldn't use the names I had chosen in the past I fell upon Philippians 4:11 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." Here I am again, using this same verse, not because I have accomplished contentment but because I am still striving for it. Perhaps the Lord helped me choose this verse more than I realized, just as He helped my parents choose my name nearly 30 years ago. He knows how valuable contentment is (or should be) in my life. It's a worthwhile goal; one I may never fully live up to but one I will continue to strive for Whatever the Circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment